130 S. Galena Street
Aspen, CO 81611
Chief Building Official
970 429 2766
City of Aspen Fireplace and Woodstove Regulations
When building or remodeling, please remember the following restrictions apply in the City of Aspen.
Requirements for the Former Non-Attainment Area. The former Non-Attainment Area includes areas of the county near Aspen, like Mountain Valley, Red Mountain, Difficult Campground, T Lazy Seven Ranch, the AABC and parts of Starwood.
New Residential Building:
- The building may have either 2 gas log fireplaces or 2 certified woodstoves, or 1 of each. The building may also have an unlimited number of decorative gas appliances. Fireplaces and woodstoves cannot be installed.
Remodeling, or an addition to an existing residential building:
- If the building has 2 or more fireplaces, woodstoves, gas log fireplaces, or certified wood stoves, the only devices that can be added are decorative gas appliances.
- If the building has 1 fireplace, woodstove, gas log fireplace, or certified woodstove, then 1 gas log fireplace or 1 certified woodstove and an unlimited number of decorative gas appliances may be added.
- If the building has more than 2 fireplaces, woodstoves, gas log fireplaces, or certified woodstoves, and one is affected by the remodel, it must be removed.
- If the building has only 1 or 2 fireplaces, woodstoves, certified woodstoves, or gas log fireplaces:
- If you alter the firebox of a fireplace, it must be converted to gas logs, or removed.
- If a woodstove is moved, it must be removed or replaced with a certified woodstove.